Thursday, December 8, 2011

Do you have to show ID when making a debit/PIN transaction?

I went to McDonald's last night and they asked me to show ID on a debit/PIN purchase. I asked why, and she told me that they are required by their management to ask for it on purchases over 15.00 when using a debit and credit to prevent fraud. I told her that they reason you have a PIN number is for your own security, but she didn't care! I then handed her only my ID and she wrote down my drivers license number, exp date, and birthday. Then she had me sign the bottom of the receipt which I just wrote George Washington! She never even asked to see my debit card to see if the name matched the ID or even checked signatures! So yeah they are really stopping Fraud! But that goes back to my original questions are you still required to show your ID on a debit/pin purchase? Thanks!|||The only reason they would do that is if the card were rejected.|||It depends on the store you are visiting. Some like to be extra cautious and I for one am grateful. Most stores I visit don't even ask to see ID when I use my debit card as a credit card, even though on the signature line of my card I have written PLEASE SEE ID. However if they are going to ask to see your ID they should at least check to make sure the names match.|||They are not supposed to write anything down from your id. That is possible a violation of state law depending on your state. The can write the info down for checks but not debit cards.





Yes. They can ask for ID for pin transactions. It was not McDonald's that was asking, it was the banks fraud software that was asking Mcd's to ask you for ID.





If your debit card has a MasterCard or a Visa symbol. Just slide it. If it ask you-choose credit and you will be on your way.





I can't choose to use my MasterCard as a pin transaction at Mcd's once I slide it, it goes through like a credit card.





Both methods do come out of your checking account.|||Well is not illegal and yes they can ask for it; debit cards fraud is less common but it happens (some people are spied while punching the pin numbers, and then robed, and there are machines that clone them when you pay at some places with "bad reputation").





In my opinion, I don't like the idea of giving my personal information for something as stupid as a burger; you have no idea what are they going to do with that information; too much identity fraud this days.





But it could also be that you got lucky and got into a McDonald with a cashier who thinks that Debit an Credit cards are the same thing. Or a manager who wants to play Donald Trump for a few bucks.|||Individual merchants have their own policies. You might ask another manager in a different store if that is a policy.


For example though, if I used a card for Yolanda Martinez and I'm a guy, common sense would say that doesn't match up.


When I went to Texas to use my debit Visa EVERY merchant asked for photo ID. So I think the area's amount of crime is a big factor on that also, I was in Ft. Worth which does have a large amount of crime. It protects then from eating the cost of the transaction.|||Only when the purchase is high or when the card doesn't go through for fraud purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment