Monday, December 12, 2011

I want to know if a Bank in the US can process a check presented to it if the check is post-dated?

here's the story. I presented a post dated check drawn on XYZ bank to ABC. ABC presented it to XYZ for payment. Can XYZ complete the transaction if the date on the check is in the future of the date on which the check was presented for payment?|||Yes, then will generally clear a post dated check. I accidentally wrote the wrong month on a rent check (I put the next month's date on it) and the bank accepted it without questioning it.





I always make my car payment check out for the due date but the finance company clears it the day they receive it, not the date it's written for.





With a greater number of businesses clearing checks electronically, it is likely that a person at the bank will not even see the check. Only the account info and amount will be transmitted. An image is sent but the date written on the check is pretty much irrelevant.|||Yes it can. The date on the check is irrelevant to the bank.|||yes, because unlike in some other countrys where there are clearing houses for those checks being issued wherein every checks where being scrutinized for the aunthenticity of the checks, including the date, I have found out that US bank have no way of verifying manually every check's date being presented for payment. It happens to me just recently, because I have issued a postdated check but then when it was presented for payment before the actual date, it was cashed-out that day it was presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment