Thursday, December 15, 2011

How to enter a spinoff in Quicken?

One security in my portfolio spunoff another company in July 2010. By using Quicken's spinoff action, it caused the creation of many new transactions for the initial purchase and the subsequent dividends. Each transaction's share quantity was a fraction of the original as per the spinoff's share ratio.





Shouldn't a spinoff be recorded as a single transaction on the total number of shares on the date of the spinoff?





Quicken's way of doing it seems unecessarily messy and inaccurate because the spinoff company didn't exist on the past dates.|||Generally, a spin-off means that a company is carving off a piece of itself and distributing the stock to it's existing shareholders. The original cost of one company becomes the original cost of 2 companies.





I am guessing from your info you may have had multiple purchases of company A before it spunoff company B.... because your reinvested dividends. With the spin off, a piece of each purchase of company A now gets allocated between A and B.... and that produces all the activity you are seeing.





Without more info, that's the best I can do. But I'm guessing I nailed this one.... cause I've had my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment