Thursday, December 15, 2011

How long does a company have to charge your debit card?

I bought books at a Got Used bookstore through a deferral program. I gave them my debit card information and they were supposed to charge me for the books on a date in September. They still haven't charged me for the books and I want to know if they have a time limit to charge me before this transaction would become void or if technically they could just charge me whenever they want.|||Debit cards are just like checks.


You have 90 days to cash a business check.


But with a personal check/debit they have up to 6 months to cash it.


/|||60 days is what my Federal Credit Union bank told me.

Report Abuse


|||With most banks, they treat the debit card transaction like a check. Therefore, there would be a 60-90 day limit on the transaction (depending on your bank's policy- check your checks, it'll say on them).





I'm sure there are banks out there that do it differently, though, so you may want to call them. It has nothing to do with the store and everything to do with your bank.|||For U.S. issued debit card it is up to one year. I read a charge even coming in after one year. However, most bank will not accept charges that come in after 90 day.

No comments:

Post a Comment