Sunday, December 4, 2011

Will my automatic payment go through if the expiration date on my debit card changed?

I pay all my bills automatically and I'm not sure if the expiration date changing on my card will make a difference... Luckily most of them use my checking account numbers, but a couple use my debit card... with they still be able to process the transaction with the wrong date?|||Debit card: yes


Credit card: probably not





You need to enter the expiry date for credit card transactions. Since you probably saved your credit card on file, the company will probably contact you close to the expiry date asking you to update the card you have on file.





Debit cards on the other hand don't use the expiry. The date on them is basically to force you to get a new card every few years, which is important because debit payments are changing quite a bit (for example, cards with chips are being phased in).|||Only the card expires - not the account. Debit orders and automatic payments will go off of the account as they should, you will only not be able to use the expired card itself for any transactions.|||It'll be fine, but if you want you can go to each website and make the necessary change on your bill payment profile just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment